Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Communication Cut

We live in a day in age where picking up the phone, or opening your lap top to communicate with someone is not uncommon at ALL. I probably send at least 50 text messages a day, make at least 10 phone calls as day, and use my computer to keep up with a friend or family member at least 5 times a day. Most people have communication devices attached to their hip 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. What I am trying to get to... is that my best friend who is currently a four hour drive away from me, is only a few seconds away from responding to my test message, a few minutes away from messaging me back on-line, and a few rings away from answering my phone call, will soon be in a complete other state, with no way to communicate other than letters.

Letters? Is it sad to think that NO ONE sends letters as a way to communicate anymore? Its just so much faster and convenient to use your phone or computer. Not to mention by the time the other person actually receives your letter, its three days later, and the information or news you wrote in the letter has probably changed.

I drove the four hours and surprised her this past weekend. It was seriously the most spontaneous event I have ever experienced in my life. I decided 15 hours before I left on my mini road trip that I was going to go, and I was also only going for 27 hours. It made the time I spent with her mean so much more because, in about 48 hours I will not get to actually speak with her for an entire month. Keep in mind that this is the one person who knows every nook and cranny of me. Who I call for everything. The one person who ALWAYS knows the right advice. The one person who if she was a boy would probably be my boyfriend (inside joke) :) Its seriously weighing very heavy on my heart. Who do I turn to for 31 days? Who will be able to give me the perfect advice?

Despite me being selfish, and only thinking of how I feel, Im so excited for her. She is going to be a camp counselor at a camp that has special ties with her family. Im so excited to hear about all the people she meets, and all the lives she gets to touch. Im excited (that when we get to actually get to talk on the phone) to tell her about my new house, and how the whole rush process for OUR sorority is. Im excited to tell her how big my little baby is getting. Im excited to catch her up on all the episodes of the shows we watch that she missed. And Im also excited to discuss when the next time we get to see each other, hug each other, and just flat out be with each other.

So to you Shelby Dae... if you actually read this before you have no internet-

I love you so very much. Im so excited for you, and to get to hear all about your experience. I know your not half as sad as me, but to make your best friend happy make sure you respond to her letters every night. Meet amazing people. Touch their lives like you have touched mine (but dont let them out rank me on your friend list). Keep you cabin in line, hopefully there will be a little girl in your group who will be just like us, who you can talk to for hours on end about baby dolls, and being a mom.
I miss you already sweet girl. Dont go a day without looking in your mailbox, because I promise their will always be a letter!

No comments:

Post a Comment